[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-5: Rewrite of NRPM Section 4.4 Micro-Allocation

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed May 29 01:03:37 EDT 2024

I wanted to add a little more color on the ethernet language in the 4.4
revision proposal. I read somewhere earlier today someone well-known
pointing out the importance of consensus based standards. The IETF is a
consensus based SB. And according to their ANSI accreditations so are IEEE
(electronics), TIA (telecom), NEMA(electric, fiber optic enclosures, et.
al.), AQM (ISO 9001), and Open-IX.

ARIN, IMHO, should use the existence of a bonafide standard (and SB) as a
strong and meaningful input with regards to meeting principles of being
technically sound.

-M<

*Physical Interface*

The IXP *MUST be able to offer IEEE 802.3 Ethernet *connectivity on a common
switch infrastructure. Service offerings MUST be available *at least* at the
following IEEE defined rates:

- 802.3z 1GE
- 802.3ae 10GE

[ clip ]

Traffic Forwarding

The *IXP MUST forward frames with the following Ethertypes*:

0x0800 IPv4
0x86dd IPv6

[ clip ]