[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-5: Rewrite of NRPM Section 4.4 Micro-Allocation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed May 29 01:22:25 EDT 2024

Again, I think (and if I were involved in Open-IX would argue there) that their standard is over-specified and over-constrained. While 802.3z and 802.3ae are very common interfaces today, I know, for example, that there are at least a couple of IXPs that are considering (if not implemented) the elimination of 802.3z and moved up to 802.3ae as a minimum IX connection. I think the days of every IX offering 1Gpbs connections are certainly numbered as 10G becomes ever cheaper to implement.

Yes, ARIN should take due notice of standards issued by other standards bodies, but it should not hold itself arbitrarily beholden to them if there is good reason to diverge.

In this case, IMHO, ethernet is a good example here. There’s no advantage to ARIN policy by adding this constraint. It does not in any way improve ARIN’s ability to offer service to its members and it creates a situation where technological advances have a relatively high likelihood of rendering policy obsolete faster than it can be updated.

That doesn’t seem like a good thing IMHO and unless you can offer a justification for it beyond “It’s what Open-IX says”, I think there is good reason to choose alternative language for this policy.

Owen