[arin-ppml] Out-of-region overreaction?

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 19:25:16 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Frank Bulk <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:

> I'm familiar with the concern about out-of-region folk taking advantage of
> ARIN's current IPv4 supply, but I have a few concerns about the wording of
> the staff communication.
>
> a) It's been my understanding thus far that if I'm an ISP that provides
> service in multiple places around the world that I may divide my allocation
> into smaller prefixes and advertise those to area peers.  It seems ARIN

No.    You  can subdelegate portions of your allocation to customers.
Your upstreams are not going to necessarily let you pick apart your
allocation
and advertise every /29;    Although  ARIN staff should have no objections
to this,
if your upstreams will allow it,  and you show that to be the case.

If you are chopping up your block; you do not need a big allocation from
ARIN, though,
of sufficient size for all your regions.   It only makes sense if you
intend to keep your block _whole_;
and advertise a single block in multiple regions.

If you intend to chop up your blocks anyways;  then a sensible thing to do
is to obtain  multiple blocks instead -- from the appropriate regions
 where they will be used.

> staff would preclude me from doing any of that.  "All" is a pretty strong
> word, and if ARIN really believes it, a lot of violators could be found.

Routing is out of scope of ARIN policy in the first place;  you have an
option of
not advertising your allocation at all.    You are allowed to have a
privately interconnected network
that spans regions.

ARIN staff can reject your verification justification for the allocation;
if you don't show you have an intention
to use a significant amount of resources in the ARIN region

While ARIN does issue numbers within its region, section 2.2 does not say
> "only for use".  If an "only" had be applied, I would suggest that it's
> "only manage and distribute".

Policy does not say "only for use";   however there is not policy
specifically encouraging ARIN to recognize use outside of the ARIN region.

It is not sufficient for use to merely be "allowed";  ARIN has to have
procedures
for validating and auditing the use.

It is possible, that you may be allowed to use out of region, but not be
able to
cite your  out of region networks requirements  as justification for
obtaining
a larger block  than  if your out-of-region usage  did not exist at all,

or it may not be accepted as current use to satisfy utilization requirement
for a future allocation.

> If I could be so bold, I'd suggest ARIN to use language something along
> these lines in their communications:
>
>         Please reply and verify that you will be using
>         the requested number resources primarily within the
>         ARIN region and announcing the majority of routing prefixes
>         of the requested space from within the ARIN region.
>         In accordance with section 2.2 of the NRPM, ARIN issues
>         number resources within its region.

This is very similar to  the original quote of what they had said.......