[arin-ppml] Out-of-region overreaction?

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Oct 5 20:17:35 EDT 2013

On 10/4/13 15:31 , Frank Bulk wrote:
> I was requesting some ISP IPv6 space and the kindly ARIN staff posted this
> in their response:
>
> 	Please reply and verify that you will be using
> 	the requested number resources within the ARIN region
> 	and announcing all routing prefixes of the requested
> 	space from within the ARIN region. In accordance with
> 	section 2.2 of the NRPM, ARIN issues number resources
> 	only for use within its region. ARIN is therefore only
> 	able to provide for your in-region numbering needs.
>
> I'm familiar with the concern about out-of-region folk taking advantage of
> ARIN's current IPv4 supply, but I have a few concerns about the wording of
> the staff communication.
>
> a) It's been my understanding thus far that if I'm an ISP that provides
> service in multiple places around the world that I may divide my allocation
> into smaller prefixes and advertise those to area peers.  It seems ARIN
> staff would preclude me from doing any of that.  "All" is a pretty strong
> word, and if ARIN really believes it, a lot of violators could be found.
>
> b) It seems that Section 2.2 of the NRPM is being misapplied.
> 	2.2. Regional Internet Registry (RIR)
>
> 	Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) are established and
> 	authorized by respective regional communities, and
> 	recognized by the IANA to serve and represent large
> 	geographical regions. The primary role of RIRs is to
> 	manage and distribute public Internet address space
> 	within their respective regions.
>
> While ARIN does issue numbers within its region, section 2.2 does not say
> "only for use".  If an "only" had be applied, I would suggest that it's
> "only manage and distribute".
>
> If I could be so bold, I'd suggest ARIN to use language something along
> these lines in their communications:
>
> 	Please reply and verify that you will be using
> 	the requested number resources primarily within the
> 	ARIN region and announcing the majority of routing prefixes
> 	of the requested space from within the ARIN region.
> 	In accordance with section 2.2 of the NRPM, ARIN issues
> 	number resources within its region.
>
> Frank

Staff has called out this issue several times in the past couple years,
and the community has failed to provide any guidance via policy several
times.  There is another round of discussion prompted by the staff's
latest report on this issue, that is ARIN-2013-6.

I'll also point out that many people already assume they must get IPv6
resources from all five RIRs to operate a global network. And, therefore
they assume that they can only use resources obtained from ARIN within
the ARIN region. I've run into this numerous times.  Here is one example;

http://new.livestream.com/internetsociety/INETDenver2013
See Time Stamp 1:34:20

I've participated in a number of similar discussion.  This is
particularly an issue for IPv6 because many people are just starting to
deploy their IPv6 network.  I really wish the community would focus on
the IPv6 aspects of this issue.

I think we need policy that makes is clear ARIN resource MAY be used
outside the ARIN region, as long there is more than trivial use within
the ARIN region, and other technical and administrative requirements are
met.  Right now I believe no policy is worse and more damaging for IPv6
than a compromise policy that has some reasonable restrictions. I don't
see a policy allowing out of region use with no restrictions gaining
consensus right now with IPv4 run-out politics going on.

I would like people to think about how we want IPv6 to work for the next
decade or more, focusing policy on that, and then consider IPv4
consequences of such a policy.  Right now I feel IPv4 run-out issues are
driving the policy discussion, and the IPv6 consequences are being
ignored.

So, Frank I think the most effective thing is for you, and others, to do
is help shape ARIN-2013-6 into a useful and effective policy that can
gain consensus.  In my opinion ARIN-2013-6 is not there yet, but I'm
optimistic that with feed back at the PPM and on PPML the AC can turn
ARIN-2013-6 into something that can gain consensus.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email: farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952