[arin-discuss] Question about legacy IPv4 and RADB

Mike Joseph mjoseph at google.com
Sun May 6 00:12:27 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Robert E. Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:

> John B <johnb at infinitie.net> writes:
>
> > That is definitely an interesting circumstance that I haven't come
> across yet.
> > Wouldn't it be pretty simple for them to get ARIN to update their poc
> > in the database for the IP space
> > so you could proceed?
> >
> > John Brancela
>
> Actually, that depends on some nuances of the situation.
>
> If they're the same organization they've always been (incorporation /
> state registration not lapsed, continuously in business, etc) yes it's
> pretty straightforward.
>
> If there's been some M&A activity, getting ARIN to update the
> information is by not difficult, but getting together copies of all
> the corporate documentation they require in order to substantiate the
> claim can be a big pain, particularly when there's been more than one
> acquisition in succession.
>
> If this is an attempt to do something that is not quite on the
> up-and-up, getting the corporate documentation will of course be
> impossible, and generating a bogus documentation trail is probably
> some combination of conspiracy and fraud depending on how many people
> are in on it and what they do.  ARIN staff is pretty good at
> determining the veracity of paper trails with which they're presented
> and figuring out when things look hinky.  Under those circumstances,
> getting ARIN to update the POC will of course be impossible.
>
> -r

Agree with everything RS said, but also worth noting that the discussion of
"updating the POC" is somewhat inaccurate.  Updating a POC is less
important (from a resource verification perspective) than is updating the
ORG itself.  After all, the POC merely represents who can interact with
ARIN (or as a designated point-of-contact for the Internet) for a given
resource.  The ORG represents the entity who is actually issued the
resource and authorized to use it.

-MJ