[arin-discuss] Question about legacy IPv4 and RADB

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sat May 5 22:03:22 EDT 2012

John B <johnb at infinitie.net> writes:

> That is definitely an interesting circumstance that I haven't come across yet.
> Wouldn't it be pretty simple for them to get ARIN to update their poc
> in the database for the IP space
> so you could proceed?
>
> John Brancela

Actually, that depends on some nuances of the situation.

If they're the same organization they've always been (incorporation /
state registration not lapsed, continuously in business, etc) yes it's
pretty straightforward.

If there's been some M&A activity, getting ARIN to update the
information is by not difficult, but getting together copies of all
the corporate documentation they require in order to substantiate the
claim can be a big pain, particularly when there's been more than one
acquisition in succession.

If this is an attempt to do something that is not quite on the
up-and-up, getting the corporate documentation will of course be
impossible, and generating a bogus documentation trail is probably
some combination of conspiracy and fraud depending on how many people
are in on it and what they do.  ARIN staff is pretty good at
determining the veracity of paper trails with which they're presented
and figuring out when things look hinky.  Under those circumstances,
getting ARIN to update the POC will of course be impossible.

-r