[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Transfer Fees Now Open

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Sep 6 17:07:39 EDT 2016

On Sep 6, 2016, at 4:36 PM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com<mailto:mike at iptrading.com>> wrote:

Currently the recipient pays except for 8.4 transfers.
ARIN requests the transfer fee from SELLER before the transfer is sent to the recipient registry in those cases.
For inbound 8.4 transfers, the ARIN recipient pays the ARIN fee.

Mike -

This is correct, and the proposed transfer fee change would be make the fee process for
transfers within the region be consistent with transfers going out of region (i.e. the source
paying the transfer fee.)

For a /24 sold from ARIN to APNIC or vice versa, the transfer fees total $500 from ARIN and $161 from APNIC, or $661. In this case transfer fees represent a whopping $2.60 per address, or almost a quarter of the cost of the addresses themselves.

True, although the work required is substantially the same regardless of block size...

Considering that the number of small transfers is greater than large transfers, and in light of current ARIN reserve$, I suggest reducing the transfer fee for small blocks, or indexing the fee to the transfer size in a way that maintains overall current transfer revenue numbers.  John says 1 in 4 transfers fail. I guess a substantial number are largish blocks that fail as a result of nefarious activity involved in claiming old blocks and selling them. The incentives for this behavior are less for small block sales. Can we get a breakdown of failure rates by transfer size?

We may not be able to automatically generate such, but even so, we should be able to
manually assemble such data for review.   I shall look into this and report back shortly.

Ripe charges no transfer fee. APNIC charges a fee tied to the transfer size. LACNIC charges $200 upfront, and $1300 before the transfer completes.

While I do recognize the potential interest in fees charged in other regions, I must ask
that folks focus as much as possible on what fees they feel are appropriate for ARIN to
charge.

As part of the consideration about making the $500 upfront and non-refundable, are we able to discuss the transfer fee generally?

Certainly!  (If were to say otherwise, one could simply submit a suggestion to the ARIN
Consultation and Suggestion Process <https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/acsp.html>,
which would result in another discussion thread on this mailing list; i.e. let us save time
and presume that the transfer fees in general are a fine topic for discussion here.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO