IP-Hosting Policy Specifics

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Thu May 3 11:34:22 EDT 2001

On Thu, 3 May 2001, steve wrote:

> I don't believe the problem will be with Arin.. It is my opinion that the
> language opens a door for broad interpretation by folks outside Arin.

  I agree entirely, and this has been my concern all along. I'm very
concerned that tier-2 ISP's will see the full spectrum from their tier-1
providers, all refering to the same ARIN policy. Also, if ARIN does
consider this to be more than just an information and conservation
request, that it will be hard pressed to avoid problems with inconsistant
implimenatation.

> But, I also see the need to start an IP conservation effort. Since
> Arin is willing to gather data in an effort to manage the effort, I
> applaud them and give them a thumbs up.

  I doubt anyone would dissagree with this in a broad sence. The devil is
clearly in the implimentation.

> In a perfect world, we would have a resolution process whereby mom&pop
> hosting company could appeal the decision of a tier 1 to not allow IP space
> allotment because of this effort.

  See my concerns above. Unless the policy and process is well defined and
understood, it's a sure course to litigation.

Chuck