IP-Hosting Policy Specifics

Jim Macknik jmacknik at inflow.com
Thu May 3 10:48:40 EDT 2001

Heh...I hear you. I would say there is some difficulty then...some people I
have spoken are not sure what will be registered as justified. Even if they
are just data-collecting right now, what happens when the policy is in place
at full force? Some people are worried that they may receive charge-backs
due to inadequate justification...they may be unable to get more addresses
because their justification was invalidated, but those arguments were made
at a time when justification was not defined.

I guess my concern is: if the "policy" is just for information gathering
(and I agree that it is currently worded in this way), then there is the
likelihood that most people will want to blow it off. Why put together a lot
of justification documentation when it's not required? The returns that ARIN
gets are likely to be skewed to a select few organizations that are diligent
in providing information. This data, as a result, may not be representative
of how addresses are used in general.

If the policy is released as a requirement to have this data in hand before
IP space can be allocated, then we will need to have clear borders around
it. I'm just a little worried that the policy, as it is currently worded, is
a continuation of the current status quo. Right now, justification is highly
recommended but not an absolute requirement (unless I missed a memo about
the re-instatement of RFC2050). How much data has ARIN received in the last
6 months about how IP space is being allocated?

I worry that if we give people an option to ignore a policy, most users will
do just that.

=- Mack -=

James M. Macknik
Manager, Systems Engineering