Large global enterprises, multi-homing, and inconsistent announcements

Craig A. Huegen chuegen at cisco.com
Mon Apr 16 14:42:12 EDT 2001

Hello all --

The following is to re-address a point I brought up at the registries'
meeting on v6 at IETF47.  Cisco is planning its internal network structure
wrt v6 deployment, and several issues need to be addressed before we can
move forward.

I'd like to get an idea of the feelings of folks watching v6 closely in
the context of policy for multi-homing and the large, global enterprise.

One particular feature of some large, global enterprises is several global
Internet access points, utilizing multiple providers (including regional
best-in-class), with inconsistent announcements (i.e., only those prefixes
for that region of the enterprise).

First, I've been watching with interest the multi-homing discussions
(perhaps "war" is a better word).  My personal two cents is that giving
every host in an enterprise (n) IP addresses where (n) represents the
number of tier-1 providers who are the roots of the resulting upstream
provider tree is not very scalable.  On top of that, relying upon the
_host_ originating the TCP connection to pick both the inbound path for a
content provider (by its selection of destination IP) and the outbound
path for a content provider (by its selection of source IP) is not very
optimal, either.  It eliminates the ability to do any sort of policy
adjustment in order to shift traffic other than hacks.  While I believe it
will certainly work for smaller organizations, I do not believe it is
generally scalable for the larger organizations, especially
multi-nationals.

So that brings up a question of policy within the registries:  how to
handle the larger organizations.  What considerations must be made for
those organizations who do extremely tight route filtering?

Assume an organization that has between 5 and 15 Internet access points,
each with 2 providers.  These providers may be global providers, they may
simply be "best in region".  This organization wishes to inconsistently
announce prefixes per region.

A possible solution I've been thinking about is to set up some criteria
for large global enterprises, assign them a block large enough to allow
for /48 * x regions (in the example enterprise here, a /44 would provide
for 16 regions).  Allow those /48's to be announced as /48's, and
recommend that providers not filter out prefixes of size /48 in these
spaces.

The alternative is to go forward with the (massively broken IMO)
multi-homing approach whereby each region of the global enterprise's
network receives (n) prefixes, again (n) representing the number of
top-tier connections made in the upstream tree.  This means a _minimum_ of
30 /48's to that global enterprise.  This assumes that all 30 connections
are to top-tier providers.  If not, then the number increases as the
fan-out becomes greater.  If there's overlap of providers, this number
could be reduced by breaking a /48 into multiple smaller chunks, but
that IMO is a complete nightmare for managing address space within that
organization.

I'm very concerned about the state of route filtering in the v4 network
today, and I'm wondering what considerations you service providers out
there are thinking about wrt to filtering...  will you allow anything up
to /48?  anything up to /35?

Any other approaches being considered or that we should consider?

Note that these viewpoints are mine, mine alone, and nothing but mine.
They don't represent the official viewpoints of Cisco, etc.  You know the
disclaimer drill.

Thanks for your time.

/cah

---
Craig A. Huegen  CCIE #2100                       C i s c o  S y s t e m s
Sr Network Architect, GCTS                              ||        ||
Cisco Systems, Inc., 400 East Tasman Drive              ||        ||
San Jose, CA  95134, (408) 526-8104                    ||||      ||||
email: chuegen at cisco.com                           ..:||||||:..:||||||:..