Large global enterprises, multi-homing, and inconsistent announcements

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Mon Apr 16 16:19:51 EDT 2001

Wearing my other hat, I work for one of them big enterprises with the
problem Craig describes, and I echo his concern. I think it's actually very
important to get this right now, since other enterprises will look at
what the first few choose to do and how the RIRs choose to deal with them.

I think this is the wrong place to argue about whether multiple addresses
per host is the right approach; we have an IETF WG for that. Let's just
assume that the HAL-DJTDP Corporation with offices in 150 countries needs an
IPv6 prefix. It's fairly easy to see that a /48 isn't enough; they only have
a lousy /8 today and they are squeezed, even without supporting personal area
networks for their employees.

Will registry policy allow HAL-DJTDP Corp. to get, say, a /40? What criteria
would apply to justify such a stretch of the current draft guideline:

>       - Very large subscribers could receive a /47 or slightly shorter
>         prefix, or multiple /48's.

   Brian