Simple question...

Alan Bechtold sysop-news at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Thu May 1 10:53:16 EDT 1997

>That's why ARIN does not put up address space for auction and does not
>allow ISPs to sell address space to others. A major ISP can get a large
>allocation only because they have agreed to allocate smaller blocks of
>space to the organizations who connect to them.

A simple question:

I understand that major ISPs getting a large allocation from ARIN must agree
to allocate smaller blocks of space to other organizations (presumably
smaller organizations) who connect to them. This is a good thing. However,
is there any REQUIREMENT that they serve those smaller organizations at all?
In other words, can a larger ISP simply decide as a business policy that
they are no longer going to serve other ISPs and still obtain their
allocation. I know of a couple of larger ISPs considering or already
implementing this practice...dropping service to smaller ISPs.

If larger ISPs obtaining their allocations from ARIN can then decide simply
not to serve smaller ISPs, will they be able to get around the requirement?
There's a big difference between requiring that they provide smaller blocks
IF they serve smaller ISPs and requiring that they serve those smaller
organizations.

I've heard here the argument that competitive pressures will continue to
make it profitable to serve smaller ISPs who are admittedly, today, some
ISPs' largest customers. But it appears some larger ISPs are today realizing
that the smaller ISPs they serve are also competing against them for end users.

--- ALAN