Simple question...

Kim Hubbard kimh at internic.net
Thu May 1 11:21:16 EDT 1997

> >That's why ARIN does not put up address space for auction and does not
> >allow ISPs to sell address space to others. A major ISP can get a large
> >allocation only because they have agreed to allocate smaller blocks of
> >space to the organizations who connect to them.
> >
> A simple question:
>
> I understand that major ISPs getting a large allocation from ARIN must agree
> to allocate smaller blocks of space to other organizations (presumably
> smaller organizations) who connect to them. This is a good thing. However,
> is there any REQUIREMENT that they serve those smaller organizations at all?
> In other words, can a larger ISP simply decide as a business policy that
> they are no longer going to serve other ISPs and still obtain their
> allocation. I know of a couple of larger ISPs considering or already
> implementing this practice...dropping service to smaller ISPs.

There seems to be a misconception here that the large ISPs do not have
to justify their address blocks.  They do.  If a large ISP were to
suddenly stop assigning to their ISP customers than they probably
wouldn't be able to justify the large blocks of addresses.

I also don't know why any ISP would choose not to assign address space
to their ISP customer.  Obviously they know that their ISP customer
needs address space to stay in business and if they're no longer in
business than they won't be able to pay them.

- Kim