Blah blah is right.....

David R. Conrad davidc at APNIC.NET
Sun Mar 30 01:37:45 EST 1997

Hi,

>Now, the address allocation scheme has come under attack for mucht
>the same reason. People are not trusting the NSI, because they
>feel that the NSI has shown that it completely failed to handle/
>hand off the DNS issue in any reasonable manner.

No.  Address allocations have come under attack because people can't
go to Kim and say "give me a <short prefix> 'cause I'm gonna be a *big
player*" and expect Kim to allocate what the requestor wants.

>So, they now want the NSI out of the IP business,

Out of curiosity, who is "they"?

>That means coming up with something else. But instead of coming up
>with something good, they came up with ARIN. ARIN looks like a
>big, fat, deep pocket target for lawsuits. And, it wants to take
>most or all of the unallocated addresses with it.

No.

- ARIN is intended to operate on a cost recover basis, where exactly
  are the deep pockets?
- ARIN will not obtain (nor I assume does it want) "most or all of
  the unallocated addresses" -- it will simply be another of the
  regional registries under the IANA.

>But it can start with just a /8, and someone else can come along
>later with another idea.

How exactly would you implement this?  I gather you assume that
InterNIC/NSI will continue to allocate addresses for "free" while ARIN
starts up?  How many members do you think will join ARIN before the
NSF/NSI cooperative agreement terminates?  What exactly will be
demonstrated by such a trial that hasn't already been demonstrated by
the operation of RIPE-NCC and APNIC?

Regards,
-drc