Suggestions

The Innkeeper the_innkeeper at SOLS.NET
Thu Mar 6 04:28:11 EST 1997

> On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Stephen Satchell wrote:
>
> > 1.  Proposed budget, capitalization, funding model, cash flow
>
> Some elements of this are in the proposal at the website and in the
> archives of this list there is a strawman budget that Stephen Satchell
> posted. It's at least something to use as a basis for discussion.

Dave McClure also posted some pertinent items.....

> > 2.  Proposed location(s)
>
> I think there is no good reason to move ARIN outside of Fairfax county
> in Norther Virginia. First, it simplifies transferring the Internic IP
> allocation function intact, people and all. And second, this region is
> becoming the Internet industry's Silicon Valley and in the event that
> key people decide to move on to other jobs, it will be easier to find
> qualified employees to replace them.

Cost od operations and quality of operations is one reason......

> > 3.  Alternatives using existing not-for-profits with Registry and
Internet
> > experience
>
> I don't know of any existing non-profits that have this experience except
> the RIPE NCC and APNIC. There are other groups with related experience
> such as Merit, however none of them have made any public offers to host
> ARIN. And even if there was a group that could handle this, it seems to
me
> that an essential element of the ARIN transition is to place this
function
> into the hands of an independent industry group.

Better do a bit more research....There is a Non-Profit existing who has the
experience to handle what is being proposed in a more proper and correct
manner (I know all Hades is gonna break loose because of this
statement....But it is a fact)........And if I see what ARIN is at this
time it is to place it in hands who do NOT know what it is 'really' like
out here.....If you wish to place it into a seperate and independent group
then you MUST eliminate the NSI folks <G>.....

> > 4.  Bylaws (strawman would be fine)
>
> Again, there is a skeleton of this on the website that could be used as
> the basis for discussion. In fact, this is one area where the discussions
> on the list led to some substantive changes in the proposal. But more
> detailled suggestions would be a nice thing to see here.

There has been been much discussion of this aspect.....The key point is
that there are not many questions being answered that even a Strwman's
budget can be compiled on.....Som key questions about the BoT and a few
other things have to be answered aforn a basic budget can be hashed out....

<<<Hearing those choppers but not seeing them :-)....>>>>>

-Steve-

Stephan R. May, Sr., Manager, Southeastern Online System Services
                   http://www.sols.net    the_innkeeper at sols.net
                     VOICE: (304)235-3767   FAX: (304)235-3772
Proud member of the Association of Online Professionals Board of Directors
                                        http://www.aop.org

> Michael Dillon                   -               Internet & ISP
Consulting