Suggestions

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Wed Mar 5 23:11:18 EST 1997

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Stephen Satchell wrote:

> 1.  Proposed budget, capitalization, funding model, cash flow

Some elements of this are in the proposal at the website and in the
archives of this list there is a strawman budget that Stephen Satchell
posted. It's at least something to use as a basis for discussion.

> 2.  Proposed location(s)

I think there is no good reason to move ARIN outside of Fairfax county
in Norther Virginia. First, it simplifies transferring the Internic IP
allocation function intact, people and all. And second, this region is
becoming the Internet industry's Silicon Valley and in the event that
key people decide to move on to other jobs, it will be easier to find
qualified employees to replace them.

> 3.  Alternatives using existing not-for-profits with Registry and Internet
> experience

I don't know of any existing non-profits that have this experience except
the RIPE NCC and APNIC. There are other groups with related experience
such as Merit, however none of them have made any public offers to host
ARIN. And even if there was a group that could handle this, it seems to me
that an essential element of the ARIN transition is to place this function
into the hands of an independent industry group.

> 4.  Bylaws (strawman would be fine)

Again, there is a skeleton of this on the website that could be used as
the basis for discussion. In fact, this is one area where the discussions
on the list led to some substantive changes in the proposal. But more
detailled suggestions would be a nice thing to see here.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049