Suggestions

Justin W. Newton justin at erols.com
Thu Mar 6 09:52:41 EST 1997

At 04:28 AM 3/6/97 -0500, The Innkeeper wrote:
>> > 2.  Proposed location(s)
>>
>> I think there is no good reason to move ARIN outside of Fairfax county
>> in Norther Virginia. First, it simplifies transferring the Internic IP
>> allocation function intact, people and all. And second, this region is
>> becoming the Internet industry's Silicon Valley and in the event that
>> key people decide to move on to other jobs, it will be easier to find
>> qualified employees to replace them.
>
>Cost od operations and quality of operations is one reason......

Do you have a suggestion?  I don't believe that there are many places on
the planet with as many different people with internet clue as there is in
the Greater Reston Area (wow, I bet that noone ever used /that/ term before
;).  IMHO that makes it a good choice as far as where to locate ARIN.  If
you have another area that would work as well, let us know.

>Better do a bit more research....There is a Non-Profit existing who has the
>experience to handle what is being proposed in a more proper and correct
>manner (I know all Hades is gonna break loose because of this
>statement....But it is a fact)........And if I see what ARIN is at this
>time it is to place it in hands who do NOT know what it is 'really' like
>out here.....If you wish to place it into a seperate and independent group
>then you MUST eliminate the NSI folks <G>.....

What organization are you recommending?  BTW, while I have certainly had my
disagreements with certain people at NSI, and even people involved in this
proposal, I would /not/ characterize them as out of touch as to what it is
like "out here".  They may have a different perspective, but they do remain
in touch with whats going on.

Justin Newton
Network Architect
Erol's Internet Services