What triggered ARIN ?

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Wed Mar 5 08:56:29 EST 1997

On Tuesday, March 04, 1997 8:51 PM, John Curran[SMTP:jcurran at BBNPLANET.COM] wrote:
@ At 11:01 3/4/97, Jim Fleming wrote:
@
@ >If you would like to discuss 50 ARINs, one in each State,
@ >then you might have a chance to find the true market value
@ >of IP addresses. Unfortunately, some people feel that
@ >50 ARINs could not all stand on their own that there is
@ >not enough revenue to support that many.
@
@ Jim,
@
@    You have not demonstrated how the Internet can continue
@    to grow successfully when we attempt to route the IP
@    address prefixes that result from 50 non-toplogically
@    aligned registries.  Can you please address this side
@    effect of your position??
@
@ /John
@

The suggestion has been that these regional registries
take over the "management" of the allocations, not the routing.
In some cases, the registry would not have any addresses
to allocate because their address space is full. They would
just collect lease revenues and work on reclamation.
This situation would have zero impact on the routing tables.

In other cases, I have suggested restricting the allocations
to /18s. ISPs would be the primary organizations where
allocations woiuld be made.

For an example, imagine that some registry took over
the 192.X.X.X space and did not change the allocations.
They would just collect lease fees. This registry would
spend most of its time reclaiming space and if it were
to be able to pull together a /18, it would allocate that
to an ISP.

====

If you feel that provider-based allocations are better
then I am not sure we will ever get to the world where
ISPs can obtain some independence from their upstream
providers. If that is the direction that things head, then
the IPv4 space and networks might as well have a ring
drawn around them and the entire legacy Internet can
be used as a low-cost core transport for a new beginning
around the outside.

I can see merit in either direction...you are starting to
convince me that the best way is recognize IPv4 for what
it is, and move forward...or rather outward...

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation

e-mail: