What triggered ARIN ?

John Curran jcurran at BBNPLANET.COM
Tue Mar 4 21:51:30 EST 1997

At 11:01 3/4/97, Jim Fleming wrote:

>If you would like to discuss 50 ARINs, one in each State,
>then you might have a chance to find the true market value
>of IP addresses. Unfortunately, some people feel that
>50 ARINs could not all stand on their own that there is
>not enough revenue to support that many.

Jim,

   You have not demonstrated how the Internet can continue
   to grow successfully when we attempt to route the IP
   address prefixes that result from 50 non-toplogically
   aligned registries.  Can you please address this side
   effect of your position??

/John

p.s. (The remainder of your message discussed principally
      domain name registration services which is a rather
      interesting topic, but not something I've taken a
      particular interest in.  If you can trim back to
      questions particular to IP registries and ARIN,
      I'll reply promptly.)

p.p.s.  I've deleted the various NSF folks from the cc
        (on the assumption that they will have found their
        way to this mailing list if really interested.
        Feel free to forward my reply if you must...