What triggered ARIN ?

John Curran jcurran at BBNPLANET.COM
Wed Mar 5 15:10:41 EST 1997

At 8:56 3/5/97, Jim Fleming wrote:
>On Tuesday, March 04, 1997 8:51 PM, John Curran[SMTP:jcurran at BBNPLANET.COM] wrote:

>The suggestion has been that these regional registries
>take over the "management" of the allocations, not the routing.
>In some cases, the registry would not have any addresses
>to allocate because their address space is full. They would
>just collect lease revenues and work on reclamation.
>This situation would have zero impact on the routing tables.

Wild.   I now understand what you're proposing.

What possible benefit could there be to having a for-profit
company charging existing allocations management fees??  Doesn't
this create dozens of windfall situations where new registries
get the right to extort payments for existing allocations
without any limitation or competition? (or cost :-)

>If you feel that provider-based allocations are better

I don't think they're better, but we've had trouble
coming up with any alternatives that scale.

/John