ARIN /8s ?

J.D. Falk jdfalk at cybernothing.org
Mon Jun 30 00:11:51 EDT 1997

On Jun 30, "David R. Conrad" <davidc at APNIC.NET> wrote:

> >I've seen a fair number of address blocks bought and sold over the last
> >couple of years.  The prices vary, but I've seen a very rough rule of
> >thumb of $1 and up per address for larger blocks.
>
> And what happens when InterNIC finds out about such transactions?

	Nothing.  It's happened before.  Of course, the transaction
	has no power over the InterNIC (in its current role as
	allocation authority as assigned by the IANA), and therefore
	any allocated addresses covered by that transaction could be
	reclaimed if the InterNIC were to start doing that.

	BTW, as usual, I'm NOT talking about whether this is right
	or wrong -- it's only the current situation AFAIK.

> Exactly what "right to use" do you have over my
> network, regardless of what IP address you are using?

	I love this question.  Nobody has /ever/ been able to answer
	it without looking like either an idiot or an idealist.

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk at cybernothing.org> =========---------
  |   "That article and its poster have been canceled."                  |
  |                      -David B. O'Donnell, Sysadmin, America OnLine   |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----