ARIN /8s ?

David R. Conrad davidc at APNIC.NET
Mon Jun 30 00:12:07 EDT 1997

[cc'd to pagan]

Karl,

>I suggest that ARIN say (as I believe it does) that addresses
>assignements may be changed, and even withdrawn.

>From RFC 2050:

   IP addresses are valid as long as the criteria continues to be met.
   The IANA reserves the right to invalidate any IP assignments once it
   is determined the the requirement for the address space no longer
   exists.  In the event of address invalidation, reasonable efforts
   will be made by the appropriate registry to inform the organization
   that the addresses have been returned to the free pool of IPv4
   address space.

Is this wording insufficient?  It is in the "Assignment Framework"
section, but should probably be moved to a "general considerations"
section.  I gather you would add some wording to indicate actual
timeframes when discussing "reasonable efforts"?

>In addition, ARIN
>should say that such assignments won't be withdrawn or changed without
>N months prior notice and that once an assignment is made, it won't be
>withdrawn or changed except after a minimum of one year.  And ARIN
>should require that these provisions be imposed as part of any
>sub-delegation/assignment.

I'd argue that this isn't an ARIN thing, but rather it affects all the
registries.

>That's pretty close to the way most real property leases work, and no one
>who receives a delegation could realistically (I hope) complain that such
>terms are too onerous.

Heh.  This was a joke, right?  If one thing is true about the
Internet, it is that complaints, realistic or not, are not on the
endangered list.  :-)

Regards,
-drc