ARIN /8s ?

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 30 02:25:38 EDT 1997

David and all,

  Good mourning!

David R. Conrad wrote:

> Karl,
>
> >Go to PSI and say "I want a class C".  They aren't going to simply hand
> >you one without payment.
>
> Actually, many ISPs do.  However, what happens when you leave PSI?
> What happens when you take that number to (say) Sprint or UUNet and
> demand they route traffic to it through their networks?

  Under the telecommunications act of 1995 this is part and parcil to
that act.  In addition the "Judge Green" decision of 1980, which
has been interprated in many ways legaly, but none the less provided
for this ability which has been upheld many times now by the US supream
cort.

> >I've seen a fair number of address blocks bought and sold over the last
> >couple of years.  The prices vary, but I've seen a very rough rule of
> >thumb of $1 and up per address for larger blocks.
>
> And what happens when InterNIC finds out about such transactions?

  That is up to the InterNic I would suppose.  But essentialy nothing.

> >It is fairly obvious to anyone who has ever had to deal with "rights to
> >use" that a right (or even a privilge) to use an IP address is a property
> >right with a value.
>
> You are presumably using legal terms in a forum composed of people
> with little to no legal knowledge (although some may pretend
> otherwise).  It may be "fairly obvious" to you, I doubt strongly it is
> "fairly obvious" to others.

  Well speaking for myself only, it is obviuos to me.

> You claim there is a "right to use" and "property" rights in the
> context of IP addresses and in a strictly legal sense, perhaps you are
> correct (don't know -- never considered a career in law).  Yet in the
> real world, I am not aware of any cases or rulings which would impart
> these attributes to IP addresses.  Feel free to point me to such
> rulings, I'd honestly be interested.

  Review the Telecommunications act of 1995.

> You make the analogy of a drivers license.  I would argue the
> fundamental difference here is that a drivers license allows one to
> make use of public roads (as far as I know you do not need a drivers
> license to make use of purely private roads, correct me if I'm wrong).
> The Internet, as I'm sure you are aware, is an interconnection of
> private networks.  Exactly what "right to use" do you have over my
> network, regardless of what IP address you are using?

  In this context the "Right" is determined by the sale or "Lease"
of those networks, or by other agreement.

> Regards,
> -drc

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com