past vs future use

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 29 11:33:49 EDT 1997

Stephen,

Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> The fact is 80% of ISPs fail in one year.  There is also another
> oft-ignored fact: NOBODY EVER RECLAIMS DELEGATIONS.  This means that the
> NICs must make sure that they won't make an unused delegation.  New ISPs
> are an easy target, since they are the cause of the whole problem in the
> first place.

  I agree that 80% or more ISP's do fail in the first year.  But if you
look a bit deeper you will find that 96% of these fail due to lack of
adaquate funding.  The case that I am refering to in this discussion
does not suffer form that problem.  We already have $12m in initial
cash on hand, in addition a $8m line of credit, and currently a
$4m in residual partnership funding down stream.  So I don't think
we will be facing a failuer due to funding at any rate.

> The expected procedure for a new ISP is thus:
>
> 1. Connect to an upstream provider
> 2. Obtain some PA IPs from that provider
> 3. Efficiently assign those IPs to your customers OR do a bunch of
>    fake SWIPs that make it look like you're efficient
> 4. Repeat 2 and 3 until you have ~8192 PA IPs
> 5. Trade in your PA IPs for a /19 allocation
> 6. Make every customer you have renumber

  I here what you are saying here.  But this method is too pacarious due
to point #6, #2, and #4.  Been there done that!  Or the three ISP's
that I have been directly associated with only one did we need to
renumber.  And that was mainly due to this sort of planning.  The other
two we got alot smarter, and certianly didn't use this method, as we
pretty much did in the first one.  Hence, back to my original
question....  >;)

> I hope this clears a bit up.  Maybe now people will stop asking these same
> questions over and over.

  Not likely!  This plan or method is definatly flawed and of course
very likely to create a failier senerio.

> Stephen
>
> At 20:17 28-06-97 +0100, you wrote:
> >  Yes, Know this part and understand.  Sitll it does not answer the
> >original
> >question.  Whish was, "If I was to start a new Regional ISP
> >(Which I may shortly), and I request some /19's, you are saying
> >I can't get them becouse I have no previous allocation of /19's.
> >Where does this circle end?  Where and how do I get the allocation I
> >need for any type allocation for that matter without prior efficient
> >use, or in this case, any use, in that this is a new ISP?  It may be
> >a medium size ISP, or larg or x-large?  PLEASE ADVISE!

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com