past vs future use

Stephen Sprunk spsprunk at paranet.com
Sun Jun 29 17:00:47 EDT 1997

The fact is 80% of ISPs fail in one year.  There is also another
oft-ignored fact: NOBODY EVER RECLAIMS DELEGATIONS.  This means that the
NICs must make sure that they won't make an unused delegation.  New ISPs
are an easy target, since they are the cause of the whole problem in the
first place.

The expected procedure for a new ISP is thus:

1. Connect to an upstream provider
2. Obtain some PA IPs from that provider
3. Efficiently assign those IPs to your customers OR do a bunch of
   fake SWIPs that make it look like you're efficient
4. Repeat 2 and 3 until you have ~8192 PA IPs
5. Trade in your PA IPs for a /19 allocation
6. Make every customer you have renumber

I hope this clears a bit up.  Maybe now people will stop asking these same
questions over and over.

Stephen