past vs future use

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 28 15:17:24 EDT 1997

Kim and all,

Kim Hubbard wrote:

> > At 05:02 PM 6/28/97 -0400, Kim Hubbard wrote:
> > >Jeff,
> > >
> > >The section of the RFC you are quoting is for end-user assignments, not
> > >ISP allocations.  ISPs requesting address space from the InterNIC must
> > >show they've efficiently utilized a /19 already in order to justify receiving
> > >a /19 or shorter prefix which is the longest prefix that is currently
> > >globally routable.
> > >
> > >One of the first things we would like to accomplish with ARIN is to update
> > >the allocation policies in coordination with its members.  If you have any
> > >suggestions please send them to the pagan mailing list...pagan at apnic.net.
> > >
> > >Kim
> >
> > Kim,
> >
> > Neither APNIC or RIPE requires prior efficient utilization of a /19 for an
> > ISP.  InterNIC does.
>
> RIPE and APNIC have a built in deterrent to keep everyone from requesting
> their automatic /19....the annual fee.  InterNIC does not have this deterrent.
> >
> > What is the authority for doing so?
> >
> > If it is in RFC2050, please point it out `[8-))
>
> The RFC states that you must justify the allocation of a fully routable
> block.  Part of the justification (which InterNIC requires) is that you
> have already issued this much space to your customer base, this shows, as
> I said before, that you already have a customer base and that you know how
> to efficiently utilize the space. The RFC also states that projections
> are not enough justification, therefore, those ISPs that project that they
> will have 100 customers in the next 3 months are not issued space on that
> basis alone, but if you have retained 100 customers in the last 3 months than
> we agree that it is likely you will continue this growth and will issue
> you the space based on that information.

  Yes, Know this part and understand.  Sitll it does not answer the
original
question.  Whish was, "If I was to start a new Regional ISP
(Which I may shortly), and I request some /19's, you are saying
I can't get them becouse I have no previous allocation of /19's.
Where does this circle end?  Where and how do I get the allocation I
need for any type allocation for that matter without prior efficient
use, or in this case, any use, in that this is a new ISP?  It may be
a medium size ISP, or larg or x-large?  PLEASE ADVISE!

> Kim Hubbard
> InterNIC Registry
> >
> > Otherwise, please point out the URL of the real rules.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Larry Vaden, founder and CEO                  help-desk 903-813-4500
> > Internet Texoma, Inc. <http://www.texoma.net>    direct 903-870-0365
> > Member, Board of Directors, ISP/C                   fax 903-868-8551
> > bringing the real Internet to rural Texomaland    pager 903-867-6571

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com