past vs future use

Stephen Sprunk spsprunk at paranet.com
Sun Jun 29 20:15:16 EDT 1997

At 16:33 29-06-97 +0100, you wrote:
>  I agree that 80% or more ISP's do fail in the first year.  But if you
>look a bit deeper you will find that 96% of these fail due to lack of
>adaquate funding.  The case that I am refering to in this discussion
>does not suffer form that problem.  We already have $12m in initial
>cash on hand, in addition a $8m line of credit, and currently a
>$4m in residual partnership funding down stream.  So I don't think
>we will be facing a failuer due to funding at any rate.

Good for you (golf clap).  If you have this much capital, I assume you also
have a fair number of clients lined up.  If you have enough clients (which
I will assume you do), you may be able to qualify for a /19 immediately, if
you can meet the requirements under RFC 2050.  SWIP out 80% of the
allocation and make sure each customer uses 25% immediately and 50% within
the first year.

>> The expected procedure for a new ISP is thus:
>>
>> 1. Connect to an upstream provider
>> 2. Obtain some PA IPs from that provider
>> 3. Efficiently assign those IPs to your customers OR do a bunch of
>>    fake SWIPs that make it look like you're efficient
>> 4. Repeat 2 and 3 until you have ~8192 PA IPs
>> 5. Trade in your PA IPs for a /19 allocation
>> 6. Make every customer you have renumber
>
>  I here what you are saying here.  But this method is too pacarious due
>to point #6 [renumber], #2 [get PA IPs], and #4 [lather, rinse, repeat].
>Been there done that!  Or the three ISP's
>that I have been directly associated with only one did we need to
>renumber.  And that was mainly due to this sort of planning.  The other
>two we got alot smarter, and certianly didn't use this method, as we
>pretty much did in the first one.  Hence, back to my original
>question....  >;)

Would you care to enlighten the rest of the world as to the method you used
for the latter two businesses?

>  Not likely!  This plan or method is definatly flawed and of course
>very likely to create a failier senerio.

I never said I liked, suggested, endorsed, or otherwise felt anything
positive about this plan.  That's just how it is (now).

If you don't like ARIN/RIPE/APNIC policies, become a member and put up a
vote to change them.

Stephen