The latest

Jawaid Bazyar bazyar at HYPERMALL.COM
Wed Jun 25 16:11:47 EDT 1997

At 02:25 PM 6/25/97 +0100, Jeff Williams wrote:
>Jawaid,
>
>Jawaid Bazyar wrote:

>> At 01:08 PM 6/25/97 +0100, Jeff Williams wrote:
>> >  The relationship is obvious.
>>
>> Other than the fact that a domain name is mapped to an IP address (but
>> could just as easily be mapped to something else..), how are they
>> "irrevocably related"? If this is all you're talking about, please explain
>> how the allocation of IP addresses affects how the DNS system works.
>
>  First of all, let me say this is not a place for me to give a class.
>I am not trying to be evasive by answering your question by that
>comment, it is just not feasible to do so in any meaningful manner on an
>E-Mail forum.  I think you can understand that.  In addition I give classes
>all over the world on these matters as part of my living, so as you might
>immagine, I am not really highly motivated to do so here at any rate
>on pro bono basis.

The point is that you're the only person I've ever heard claim that IP
assignment policy has any effect whatsoever on the Domain Name System. I am
by no means technically illiterate, and understand the technical
underpinnings of most Internet technologies better than even most ISPs, and
I still don't see the sort of relationship you're talking about.

As to the feasibility of discussing such topics in an e-mail forum, I
believe you are underestimating the power of such forums.

DNS is a convenience, it's a naming system. It happens that DNS provides
Name->IP and IP->Name mappings, but the manner in which IP addresses are
assigned is irrelevant to DNS. That's why there are .COMs in Europe and
.de's in the United States.

IP addresses are a naming system, but they're also fundamental to routing
policy and other core technical Internet systems, due to CIDR, aggregation,
etc etc. IP addresses have no similar fundamental relationship to DNS.

So, you'll pardon me if I'm a bit skeptical that you won't even say what
relationship exists that neither I nor any other ISP have seen... and couch
your reluctance to discuss it in a reference to the fact that you sell
training and seminars.

--
 Jawaid Bazyar              |   Affordable WWW & Internet Solutions
 Interlink Advertising Svcs |   for Small Business