US CODE: Title 15, Chapter 1, Section 2.

Karl Auerbach karl at CAVEBEAR.COM
Fri Jan 31 11:36:10 EST 1997

>         > An address registered with any other registry is a worthless
>         > address.  Yes, others can establish address registries.  However
>         > ARIN is the exclusive source for addresses within the only
>         > address space that is recognized by the routing of the internet.
>
>     Is that so?  I think that Messrs. Karrenberg and Conrad might be
>     somewhat taken aback to find that all the integers they'd registered
>     had been of no use to the registrants.

OK, I hereby assign you the address 1.2.3.4.  Good luck getting someone to
give you routing.

>     If your contention were true, nobody would be using the other
>     registries.  As the other registries appear to be doing a lively
>     business, I must conclude that you're being wilfully and purposely
>     clueless for rhetorical purposes.

Under this proposal ARIN will be the sole ultimate authority for IP
address allocations within North America.

So yes, I am clueless as to what other registries you could possibly be
thinking of.

>     What about ISPs, who sub-delegate?  What about transfers of
>     currently-outstanding ranges to people who wish to start competing
>     registries?  They would be in no way beholden to the ARIN.  I don't
>     see any more point to your rant than to Tim's.

ISPs who "sub-delegate".  Take note of the "sub" part.  The ultimate
source is ARIN.

As for existing address reassignment -- good point -- I guess one could
say that some small portion of the allcated space will be traded on a
black market of sorts.

By-the-way, please drop the abusive tone; it doesn't do anyone any good
and the main victim is your own credibility.

		--karl--