US CODE: Title 15, Chapter 1, Section 2.

Bill Woodcock woody at ZOCALO.NET
Fri Jan 31 03:03:16 EST 1997

        > An address registered with any other registry is a worthless
        > address.  Yes, others can establish address registries.  However
        > ARIN is the exclusive source for addresses within the only
        > address space that is recognized by the routing of the internet.

    Is that so?  I think that Messrs. Karrenberg and Conrad might be
    somewhat taken aback to find that all the integers they'd registered
    had been of no use to the registrants.

    If your contention were true, nobody would be using the other
    registries.  As the other registries appear to be doing a lively
    business, I must conclude that you're being wilfully and purposely
    clueless for rhetorical purposes.

    Um, maybe that's being too generous.

    What about ISPs, who sub-delegate?  What about transfers of
    currently-outstanding ranges to people who wish to start competing
    registries?  They would be in no way beholden to the ARIN.  I don't
    see any more point to your rant than to Tim's.

                             -Bill