Global council of registries???

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Tue Apr 29 00:00:56 EDT 1997

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Rudolph J. Geist wrote:

> You laugh off with your little sarcasm the suggestion that a council be
> established such as that of the NANC

ARIN is closer to the NANC model than you might think. For instance, it
includes a Mexican on the Board of Trustees and it will be open to all
ISP's in Canada, the USA, Mexico and the Caribbean countries to join if
they wish.

> Did you ever realize why every single one of the 5,000 plus IXCs and
> LECs in this country have databases of hundreds of millions of
> functioning telephone numbers?  And they don't have to fight with Kim
> Hubbard to get addresses.

That's because they are all allocated area codes geographically based on
population growth projections and are then free to allocate NPA-NXX
geographically within their areas. However, IP routing is not based on
geography so the simplistic NPA-NXX routing system will not work.

> (For your information, I have attempted to reach Kim on multiple
> occasions to discuss this issue - but she is either out of town and not
> returning phone calls, or just does not return phone calls.

Kim Hubbard is not the person to contact to get IP allocations. There are
other people at the NIC that you can talk to. And even Kim is not free to
do as she pleases. She is applying a set of global policies that the
global Internet community has agreed on for the allocation of the globally
shared IPv4 address space. If you don't like the rules, then it has to be
taken up in a global forum.

> I have talked with John Postel previously whom I
> convinced once to give one small ISP some address space after a
> nightmare fight with Internic over "guidelines."  John even admitted to
> me that the "guidelines" are screwed up when he gave the order to give
> up the addresses to the small ISP.)

That's nice. But was the small ISP actually able to use these addresses on
the global Internet, i.e. would the core network providers route these
addresses? And if the guidelines are screwed up, why aren't you lobbying
in Washington to get ARIN created so we can start to work on fixing these
guidelines and policies. Until ARIN is pulled out of limbo, there is
nothing any of us can do.

> Now, the small group who are representing the industry are proposing to
> extend this dominance over to ARIN, with the same people involved.

Dominance? Are you aware of how a 501(c)6 operates? ARIN will have a Board
of Trustees. Currently there is no such thing. ARIN will have an Advisory
Council elected by the members. Currently there is no such thing. ARIN
will have members who will have the final say as to how things are done
and membership is open to all users of IP addresses. Currently there is no
such thing. ARIN will have legal requirements for disclosure, financial
and otherwise due to IRS regulations and "sunshine" laws. Cuurently, the
NIC is run by a privately owned company and we have no disclosure.

I'm surprised that as a lawyer, you haven't considered the legal
ramifications here.

> USIPA's members also apologize for a proposal to put together a group of
> people from the industry, such as those whom you mention in your petty
> criticism of me, that represent a broad cross-section of the Internet
> industry, and who are subject to public notice and comment on their
> proposals for the good of the Internet industry into the 21st Century.

This is precisely what ARIN is.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049