Global council of registries???

Rudolph J. Geist rgeist at wahl.com
Mon Apr 28 21:07:15 EDT 1997

Gordon Cook wrote:

> Rudoplh Geist wrote:
>
> It is highly suspicious to maintain that technical information (or any
> information for that matter) regarding the allocation of IP address
> blocks, a finite public resource (like telephone numbers or radio
> spectrum), should be held proprietary
>
> <flame>
>
> Cook:  who is holding what proprietary?  Nothing and no one in arin.
>
> Geist:  by a monopoly outgrowth (ARIN) of
> another monolpoly (Internic).
>
> Cook:  arin is not a monopoly outgrowth of anything but one of 3 world
> wide IP registriess.
>
> Geist:  This type of statement is exactly why so many in the Internet
> industry
> are so concerned about the ARIN proposal,
>
> Cook: people with a clue about the internet are concerned that we don't
> have ARIN yet.
>
> Geist:  and the exisiting IP
> allocation "guidelines," which frankly are about as consistent and
> unambiguous when applied to any company or entity that applies other
> than one of the "big twenty" as summer thunder storms in Miami.
>
> Cook speaking from here to the end:
>
> you live in the DC area?  drive over to NSI and let Kim hubbard explain
> the appropriate RFCs to you.  Don't make statements such as you have that
> are not defensible without taking a Jim Fleming leave of reality!
>
> "it is really suspicious....." you write.  This is your debut as legal
> council for a respectable industry trade association????  get a clue and
> come back to us when you have one.  </flame>
>
> Rudolph,
>
> If you are going to be providing legal advice for a new association of the
> biggest ISPs you really better do your home work before you get into the
> mud pit and join Fleming in slinging his groundless sludge.  Fleming is a
> fool and has zero respect from any one in this industry who counts.  But
> lets forget he very forgettable fleming..... get the facts Sir, and show
> you have the facts and understand in detail the developments of the
> internet over the last 15 years before you start spouting off.
>
> You have the "big" ISPs as members of your association, yet you told me
> earlier today that ANS has refused to join and that MCI, Sprint and UUNET
> and BBN are thingking about it.   I would suggest that your opinions shown
> here today in the above and in your idea that we need a telco based north
> american numbering plan rather than ARIN would serve to inform folk like
> Mke O'dell, john curran and Vint cerf that they should stay far away from
> your association.  Of yeah, how could I forget, according to Fleming, Cerf
> the father of the Internet, is now an enemy of all good and righteous
> people.
>
> Do excuse my sarcasm.  Now lessee about  the members you have...... AGIS.
> how nice.  the pariah of the industry for its new role in playing home to
> spammers and it long attitudee of disdaining any form of cooperation.
> [...]
Cook:

You seriously misread and misunderstand my advocacy.  USIPA does not
view the ARIN proposal as evil - and I don't agree with Fleming.

USIPA is of the position that this debate needs to be made more public,
so that more people in the Internet industry have some clue what
decisions are being made by such a small group of Industry
representatives - for the future of the entire industry.

You laugh off with your little sarcasm the suggestion that a council be
established such as that of the NANC - and at the same time you boast
your varied and vast experience as an Internet industry expert.

Did you ever realize why every single one of the 5,000 plus IXCs and
LECs in this country have databases of hundreds of millions of
functioning telephone numbers?  And they don't have to fight with Kim
Hubbard to get addresses.  (For your information, I have attempted to
reach Kim on multiple occasions to discuss this issue - but she is
either out of town and not returning phone calls, or just does not
return phone calls.  I have talked with John Postel previously whom I
convinced once to give one small ISP some address space after a
nightmare fight with Internic over "guidelines."  John even admitted to
me that the "guidelines" are screwed up when he gave the order to give
up the addresses to the small ISP.)

Now, the small group who are representing the industry are proposing to
extend this dominance over to ARIN, with the same people involved.

USIPA's members apologize to you for their concern - especially those
who have no IP allocations and are forced to rely on upstream providers.
They really did not mean to upset you.

USIPA's members also apologize for a proposal to put together a group of
people from the industry, such as those whom you mention in your petty
criticism of me, that represent a broad cross-section of the Internet
industry, and who are subject to public notice and comment on their
proposals for the good of the Internet industry into the 21st Century.

It suprises me that some are so iconicic to think that only what they
preach is what should be reality, with absolutely no deviations.

Think about it.