Global council of registries???

Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU
Mon Apr 28 15:08:25 EDT 1997

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:17:18 CDT, Jim Fleming said:
> The FAIR allocation of Internet resources is a business,
> they are linked via that tie...
>
> The Registry Industry is a business, they are linked
> via that...

Hmm.. so what you are saying is that since dog grooming is a business,
and copper ore mining is a business, that the two are linked? ;)

> ====
>
> Example:
>
> In many States, drivers licenses and license plates
> for cars are handled by the same "agency". Why ???
> It makes for better efficiency and service to the
> consumers and similar expertise is involved in the
> car licensing business...

Ahh..  but similar expertise is  *also* required for handling of deeds
and titles to  real estate, and  for dog licenses.  Therefor the local
county courthouse should take over car and driver licenses as well.

> In my opinion, the general public is not properly
> served by the ARIN scam which would be like saying
> anyone can get a driver's license but car licenses
> will be tightly controlled and still part of the "good old
> geek" network...

You have a level of indirection error here. Yes, anybody can
get a driver's license (more or less).  However, what is being
tightly controlled here is *NOT* the obtaining of car liscenses
themselves, it's the franchise to run your own business to
issue car liscenses.

Anybody can have a dollar bill.  But the right to print more
dollar bills is strictly controlled.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Engineer