[Iana-transition] Draft of ARIN proposal for review and comments

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Fri Nov 21 12:48:42 EST 2014

attached word doc with edits and notes.

Page 3 - paragraph starting "The Address Supporting Organization Advisory
Council (ASO AC)"
Noting David's edit that this should simply be Address Council.

The paragraph suggests the the ASO AC reviews Global Policy Process to
ensure significant viewpoints have been considered.

Actually it does three things.
1. reviews Global Policy Process to ensure the process for each RIR has
been followed
2. ensure significant viewpoints have been considered
3. in the event that non-identical policy is passed in each region, that
the unified text is not substantively different that what the communities
passed.

--

Page 5 - "The agreement should have the IANA operator perform
administration of the unallocated portions of the Internet number

I wonder what conclusion the community will draw from the text suggesting
that the contract should include SLAs and performance reporting
commensurate with current mechanisms.

Does this suggest the current SLAs and reporting are adequate?
I suspect the community does not know what the current SLAs are (although
reporting is pretty clear).

Does this instead suggest that ICANN is doing a fine job with the IANA
operations WRT number resources, and
the current SLAs and reporting may or may not be adequate, but we do not
see addressing this as critical, we should keep the current structure in
place for now, and modify it in the future.

If we want to change the SLAs and reporting, should this require opening up
and resigning the contract?

Might it be better easier to change SLAs with a standalone living document,
that he contract refers to?

--

Open, Transparent, and Bottom-up

I was expecting everywhere I saw "open" to also see transparent and
bottom-up.
Page 5 - paragraph starting "While it has not been utilized..."

"the RIRs should reaffirm their commitment to open, transparent,
[bottom-up,] and accountable global number policy."

--

Page 5 - paragraph starting "While it has not been utilized..."
Shouldn't this affirmation also be made to the RIR communities?

Page 7 - point 1.

"1. 1. Global number policy development which is open, transparent, and
[bottom-up] to any and all participants."

--

Page 5 - end of  paragraph starting "While it has not been utilized..." and
the next paragraph.

This should include a review of RIR governance.

This should also include a review of the oversight of IANA functions WRT
the contract with ICANN for the number related operations, and oversight of
governance of ICANN WRT ratification of Global Policy Ratification.

I expect this work would include a formal process for modification of IANA
function SLA metrics and reporting, as well as a formal process of
reviewing IANA operations reports and declaration of (non-)compliance, and
appropriate community (or membership) oversight.

___Jason