[dbwg] WHOIS Change Announcement

Ed Allen Smith easmith at beatrice.rutgers.edu
Mon Jun 16 18:19:45 EDT 2003

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0306161211130.1291-100000 at sokol.elan.net> (on 16
June 2003 12:17:57 -0700), william at elan.net (william at elan.net) wrote:
>Also for the example below can we change "rwhois://whois.example.net:43/"
>to just "whois://whois.example.net:43/", that would be more appropriate.

Yes, this would be appropriate if the server running at whois.example.net on
port 43 is a whois server, not an rwhois server; the distinction needs to be
made clear, since theoretically someone could be running an rwhois server on
port 43. whois://whois.example.net/, without the '43', should probably be
OK, provided that the server is indeed a whois server running on port 43,
since one normally is not required to put the port on a URI if the port is
the standard one (IANA-assigned) for the protocol.

--
Allen Smith                       http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
February 1, 2003                               Space Shuttle Columbia