[dbwg] WHOIS Change Announcement

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Tue Jun 17 14:03:47 EDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 william at elan.net wrote:

> Is that my understanding then that you're adding this to ORG table?

It will be an attribute of the org.

> Did you check how many organizations are out there that have some ip
> blocks with rwhois and some without it? I bet its 1/2 of those who use
> rwhois if not more - especially considering when companies bought each
> other and then began to transfer under one unified orgid. So how are these
> cases going to be handled? What about when you want one rwhois server for
> one ip block and possibly different for another?

ARIN surveyed all the technical contacts that were listed where the
comments indicate an RWhois server. Of those surveyed, the majority
favored an org attribute over a network attribute. Also associating it
with the network raised issues of whether we should allow it on various
network types. We opted to only associate it with the org at this time.
After a 3-6 month period of implementation, we will once again survey the
community to determine if a network attribute is still desireable. If it
is, we will address the necessary questions.

> Also for the example below can we change "rwhois://whois.example.net:43/"
> to just "whois://whois.example.net:43/", that would be more appropriate.

Currently ARIN permits either SWIP or RWhois to report utilization. This
may change in the future, but rwhois is the only schema permitted at this
time.

Ginny