[dbwg] Multiple same swips in whois output, another bug?

Ginny Listman ginny at arin.net
Tue Aug 26 13:41:11 EDT 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Louis Lee wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:29:57AM -0700, william at elan.net wrote:
> >
> > Shouldn't it have been impossible to do exactly the same
> > swip? It was my understand that ARIN returns an error when
> > you try.

As Louie points out below, for reallocations the answer is no. ARIN has
always permitted the reallocation of a full netblock. The software would
have errored out if they had both been reassignments.

> > It pretty clear to me that ARIN should not allow swip
> > if another one for the same network is already there
> > ("netrange" is the same) and if existing swip has same
> > orgid as new swip. If arin are not doing this already, it
> > should be fairly simple additional filter to implement...
>
> 1. I think it is a rare enough occurance that ARIN should
>    not be spinning cycles to develop and test the filter.

It is a rare occurance, but would not be too difficult to implement.
However, it should be noted that this behavior existed in the old
software, not something that is a result of the new software release last
year.

> 2. I would guess that ARIN already disallows multiple
>    *reassignments* for overlapping networks of the same
>    and different sizes.  (We have an example of reallocations
>    in this case.)  Someone on the ARIN staff can confirm
>    that.

That is correct.

Ginny Listman
Director of Engineering