[dbwg] Multiple same swips in whois output, another bug?

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Aug 27 04:35:42 EDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Ginny Listman wrote:

> > > Shouldn't it have been impossible to do exactly the same
> > > swip? It was my understand that ARIN returns an error when
> > > you try.
>
> As Louie points out below, for reallocations the answer is no. ARIN has
> always permitted the reallocation of a full netblock. The software would
> have errored out if they had both been reassignments.
I did not originally notice this distinction...

> It is a rare occurance, but would not be too difficult to implement.
> However, it should be noted that this behavior existed in the old
> software, not something that is a result of the new software release last
> year.
While there maybe legitimate cases for somebody to reallocate entire block
to different organization, I really do not see any reason why the organization
would reallocate its own ip block to itself (if they want to show its being
used internally, this should be done as reassignment). So if its not too
difficult to implement to return error if organization is trying to reallocate
its own ip block to itself, then go ahead an do it.

If you're unsure on what majority want, take this issue to next meeting
and do quick poll there.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks