[dbwg] Multiple same swips in whois output, another bug?

Louis Lee louie at equinix.com
Mon Aug 25 18:23:15 EDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:29:57AM -0700, william at elan.net wrote:

> Shouldn't it have been impossible to do exactly the same
> swip? It was my understand that ARIN returns an error when
> you try.
>
> It pretty clear to me that ARIN should not allow swip
> if another one for the same network is already there
> ("netrange" is the same) and if existing swip has same
> orgid as new swip. If arin are not doing this already, it
> should be fairly simple additional filter to implement...

1. I think it is a rare enough occurance that ARIN should
   not be spinning cycles to develop and test the filter.

2. I would guess that ARIN already disallows multiple
   *reassignments* for overlapping networks of the same
   and different sizes.  (We have an example of reallocations
   in this case.)  Someone on the ARIN staff can confirm
   that.

3. I know of at least one valid reason where an organization
   would reassign themselves the same block that was
   reallocated to them.  (Goes back to the flexibility
   concern that keeps coming up for a different topic.)

4. There might actually be a reason (however poor it may
   be) for someone to reallocate to themselves the same
   network more than once under the same org ID.  I can't
   think of a really good reason, but I can think of at
   least one poor one.

Louie
Louis Lee                             louie at equinix.com
Staff Network Engineer            company: 650/513-7000
Equinix, Inc.                        desk: 650/513-7162
http://www.equinix.com/               fax: 650/513-7903