New templates (Org-detailed) and June change details

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Mon May 20 09:29:23 EDT 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Jill Kulpinski wrote:

> Hello All,
> We are looking for some thoughts, information and guidance with regards
> to the ARIN database migration:

> When the Org - Detailed request is submitted when we will see changes to
> the database?  Will it be processed as soon as it is received or some
> time in June after the official migration?  Is there a date in June when
> then changes will all be processed together or will it be an ongoing
> change?

The Org templates will not be processed until day of conversion. With the
introduction of the Org record and the various POCs, we are unable to fit
it into our current database schema.  However, any Org templates that are
received in the Jumpstart account will be reviewed and run through our
test database to make sure they will run without error on the day of
conversion.

> What changes will take place on our Resources that will resolve to the
> main Org?  Will everything automatically populate to resolve to the new
> Org and is there anything we need to do to our Resources prior to the
> fact or should we wait and check for errors after?  Are current
> Maintainers = Resources?  This is a semantics question.

The only change to resources is that if a maintainer ID doesn't exist, an
Org ID will be generated. You do not have to make any changes to your
resources prior to conversion. However, it will make for a cleaner
conversion if all postal addresses and Org names associated with a single
maintainer match exactly. Maintainers do not equal resources. Many people
have a single maintainer that has multiple allocations (resources). Others
have multiple maintainers that have only one or two allocations
(resources). Maintainers = Orgs.

> We are preparing to make several changes to our current Maintainers
> (Resources) with regards to Allocations associated with certain
> Maintainers that should be associated with others and restructuring our
> Netname naming conventions.  Is this something we can do down the road
> or do we need to have this in place prior to the database migration?
> Basically, if you have a number of Maintainers that belong to the same
> organization and you want to create an Org at this time, what is the
> impact overall.

Since you have multiple maintainers, you will have multiple orgs. If you
would like to conslidate some of the maintainers, I would recommend that
you do it prior to conversion. Regarding changing the netnames of all the
resources, it may be easier to do this after conversion with the new Net
Name Change template.

Since maintainers = orgs, from what you are describing, it sounds like you
would like a top level org that would be the authority over all other orgs
(existing maintainers). We will eventually have this capability, but not
at the first release.

> With regards to POCs:  What is going to be publicly available?  I know
> that there were some discussions regarding this a couple weeks ago but I
> did not see much feedback.   In order to best account for employee
> changes, is the admin. contact as an alias (among 3 people) going to be
> a big issue as it says ARIN prefers it is an individual.  How much is
> the preference "required"?

All POC will be publicly available in some fashion.  When querying a
resource record the administrative contact will not be displayed. Only
technical, abuse and NOC will be displayed. When querying the Org record,
the administrative contact will be available.

If the adminstrative function is a shared role, my recommendation would be
to register an individual with two email addresses, one personal and one
role account. This would satisfy your needs of having multiple people
having admin privileges and ARIN's needs of having an individual as a
contact.

> Can you also provide the ad-hoc e-mail address for any non-standard
> changes (i.e. such as Maintainer name modification on a large scale).

The jumpstart at arin.net role account will be able to handles these
requests.

> Thanks very much and any feedback and assistance is appreciated.
>
> Jill Kulpinski and Team
> Exodus, a Cable & Wireless Service
> jill.kulpinski at exodus.net
> (408) 346 2563 Phone

I hope I've answered more questions that I've raised.

Ginny Listman
Director of Engineering
ARIN