Handle Generation

Mark Kosters markk at netsol.com
Thu Apr 18 09:57:27 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 11:56:48AM -0500, ginny listman wrote:
> To make the database more uniform and to completely disassociate handle
> usage from network and AS names, we would also like to replace existing
> handles with this new format. How many of you out there are attached to
> the existing handles? Will changing existing handles be a benefit or a
> hinderance?

Hi Ginny

This may be too complex to implement but I'll throw it out anyhow.
When the state changes exit numbers on highways (from sequential to mileage
based or vice-versa), they keep both numbers going from some time (new exit
number above and old exit somewhere else on the sign). Could
we do that with handles as well - keep both going for a while?

Mark

--

Mark Kosters             markk at netsol.com       Verisign Applied Research