WHOIS output after DB migration

Dawn Martin Dawn.Martin at wcom.com
Tue Apr 16 15:45:58 EDT 2002

I think that we should be allowed to have the POC information that our
company wants associated with the WHOIS output for our organization.
There was a great deal of talk about this at the meeting, and I agree
that we have to have some contact information, but instead of the
required contacts being the Admin and Tech I would like it to be the
NOC and Abuse.

People brought up different points of view, and it seems that we could
be more flexible and as long as at least one POC was listed in the
WHOIS
output we can be happy.  I would not have a problem with my name being
associated with a more specific type of WHOIS search:

Something like

whois -h whois.arin.net admin-uu

but it would not just come up with every registration associated with
UUNet. This would allow people with a clew to know how to reach
someone
who is responsible for the block but maybe keep out some of the folks
that are just looking to complain about SPAM being sent from a
customer
of a customer, of a customer.....

-Dawn Martin

> I think that we (ARIN staff & membership) need to recognize that the
> folks that attend the ARIN meetings and are active on the mailing
> lists are not the right audience to address changes that will effect
the
> templates and even the WHOIS output changes that are being proposed.
>
> Why can we only have one Admin POC per Org? Can this be a role
account?

The purpose of a single Admin is to name a single top authority for
the
Org. We strongly recommend that this be a person.  My recommendation
would
be to have an individual with his/her personal email address, and a
secondary email address that is a role account.  This would satisfy
ARIN's
request of having an individual, and allow you the flexiblity of
multiple
people filling in the Admin role.

> I still don't necessarily want the role account information shown
> in the WHOIS output.

I'm not sure I understand your request.  There needs to be some POC
information, whether it be Abuse, Tech or Admin, in WHOIS for it to be
used as a troubleshooting tool.

> Dawn Martin
> WorldCom IP Planning Analyst
> dawn.martin at wcom.com