Global POC handles?

Wilfried Woeber, UniVie/ACOnet woeber at cc.univie.ac.at
Thu Dec 21 17:02:15 EST 2000

>Is this an inappropriate time to bring up Randy Bush's argument for global
>POC handles?

  I believe it would be a perfect chance to give it another honest try.

>This issue has come up recently at both the RIPE and APNIC meetings and in
>the NANOG community. What a great opportunity for ARIN to stand up and
>solve an annoying problem for the networking community!
>
>/david

  Btw, "we" (me plus a few folks from IRTs/CERTs in the RIPE region)
  are working on a proposal for an IRT object for our database.

  I expect (hope) that such a facility would be useful for tagging
  existing objects with references to IRT/CERT-contact data. Those objects
  would be protected and signed by strong authentication mechanisms to
  "avoid" accidents and to provide credibilty. (A revised proposal should
  become available within a few days.)

  I'm fully aware that the ARIN DB is quite a bit different than the RIPE
  DB, but I'd like to see the concepts (at least) to be as compatible as
  reasonably possible amongst the IP (and routing) registries.

  Wilfried. (RIPE DB-WG chair)
  Wilfried Woeber                 : e-mail: Woeber at CC.UniVie.ac.at
  UniVie Computer Center - ACOnet : Tel: +43 1 4277 - 140 33
  Universitaetsstrasse 7          : Fax: +43 1 4277 - 9 140
  A-1010 Vienna, Austria, Europe  : RIPE-DB: WW144, PGP keyID 0xF0ACB369