Global POC handles?

David R Huberman huberman at gblx.net
Thu Dec 21 16:23:26 EST 2000

> Anyway, if we allow the ability to have multiple POCs of the various POC
> types, it will require an "Action" type for each POC.  Otherwise, the POC
> list would continue to grow.

Is this an inappropriate time to bring up Randy Bush's argument for global
POC handles?

Ginny, if ARIN is committed to re-working the WHOIS database to be more
functionally appropriate to today's world, it seems a wonderful
opportunity for ARIN to also offer to the networking community a service
we seem to sorely lack. Perhaps ARIN will consider establishing an
RPSL-compatible unique handle system? Though not much different than what
exists today, it would have to take into account all of the major whois
databases (for addresses, ASes, domain names, and route registries) and
streamline the format. Were this database stored separately, and shared
between various registries, we could quickly and effectively solve the
problem of having multiple POC entries for singular entities all over the
place.

This issue has come up recently at both the RIPE and APNIC meetings and in
the NANOG community. What a great opportunity for ARIN to stand up and
solve an annoying problem for the networking community!

/david