2 questions

Catherine Murphy cathym at arin.net
Thu Dec 21 18:00:00 EST 2000

caveat: further details pending...

greg> May I recommended that we create a Parent name :  e.g.:  AT&T Canada
greg> Corp.  with the proper Headquarter Name:  address:  etc...  Under
greg> the parent name we create Divisions ( e.g.:  Internet or ISP, IP
greg> Data Services, IP Telephony Services etc... )with their appropriate
greg> POC's.

Without trying to muddy the waters too much, we are already looking at a
structure that allows for a "parent" type organization with "child"
divisions. In this type of structure, each "child" organization/division
would be required to provide a minimum of an administrative, billing and
technical POC. The parent is also required to provide a membership POC.
These can all be the same as far as we are concerned, but they map to the
various types of communication that ARIN might have with an organization.

david> We have not defined administrative POC, have we?
david> Are you using that term in exchange with "NOC"?

Administrative POC = "The buck stops here" authority for questions with
regards to ARIN-to-Organization communication. This is not the same thing
as a NOC contact.

In addition to the POCs required at the organizational level, any resource
(network or AS) received from ARIN may _optionally_ have POCs specified.

There are really two questions:

(a) what type of POCs are desired?
    and
(b) how many of each type are desired?

Is the answer to (a) open-ended? A tech POC is a given; an abuse POC seems
like a good idea. In the past, it has been suggested that we create a
"reassign" POC type that only permits the POC to perform reassignments,
but allows no other changes to the record. Are there other _types_ of POCs
that we know about now that we should anticipate and implement up front?

If we implement multiple _types_ of POCs, is there still a need for
multiple POCs of a single type? For instance,

    Netname: CONFUSION-REIGNS
    Netblock: 10.44.0.0 - 10.44.7.255

    Tech: Name/Role (Handle) Email
          Phone

    Tech: Name/Role (Handle) Email
          Phone

    Abuse: Name/Role (Handle) Email
           Phone

As David mentions, allowing multiple POCs of a single type would conform
to concepts in RPSL. Is this the consensus of the group?

Cathy

Catherine M. Murphy <cathym at arin.net>
Senior Software Engineer
+1 703 227 9875