Maximum number of DNS servers

Jeremy Porter jerry at fc.net
Wed Apr 26 17:59:19 EDT 2000

Unfortunately that is how SQL database are designed, as per the spec.
While logically an 8 bit value would be fine, the database specification
language defines it in decimal digits, or 3.5 bits.
Since this constraint exists one needs to consider it.

I can't see any realistic need for more than 9 name servers
for in-addr.arpa, since  in-addr.arpa usage is a secondary function
and not an area where people are even trying to do funky things with
dns.

In message <20000426173511.A22485 at ultra.net>, Joe Provo - Network Architect writes
:

--- jerry at fc.net
Director Network Operations/Network Engineering, Wayport, Inc.
512-519-6193 www.wayport.net
8303 Mopac Expressway Suite A300, Austin Tx.