Maximum number of DNS servers

Joe Provo - Network Architect joe.provo at rcn.com
Wed Apr 26 17:35:11 EDT 2000

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 04:19:05PM -0400, Shane Kerr wrote:
> I'm working on some of the requirements for the new system, and I had a
> quick question:  we can either use a 1 or 2 digit number to order
> IN-ADDR.ARPA servers in our database.  Can anyone think of a reason to
> need more than 10 servers?

I'm not certain if any studies have been made regarding any "ceilings of
effectiveness" for NS delegation.  Barring any such technical difficulty
or BCP quoting a number beyond which it becomes stupid to add more, I'm
stunned that such an arbitrary limit would even be considered.  Should I
ask why the database system case how many digits [character
representations] there are rather than a true value [bit-size of the
actual value].

Just because I can't think of a need for more than 5-7 for a given
netblock doesn't mean someone else won't.  If you have to make this kind
of arbitrary, display-oriented (rather than value-oriented) cutoff,
Internet experience dictates to go with the larger of your choices.

Cheers,

Joe
--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375