[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-1: Definition of Organization ID/Org ID

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 16:27:24 EST 2024

On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 11:50 AM Owen DeLong via ARIN-PPML <
arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:

> I have resources registered under Owen DeLong and Family. This is not and
> has never been a business. While I do provide some of those resources to
> DeLong Consulting (which is a business), my resources are not registered to
> a business.
>
> I see no basis in ARIN policy or the RSA to invalidate or reject such
> delegations in the future.
>
> As written, this policy would create such a basis.
>
> As such, I oppose the policy as written.
>
> Owen

For some reason I always thought an individual could not receive resources.
Interesting to know a sole proprietorship entity can.

I agree, the current language is arguable and unclear re: sole
proprietorship. If you look at the RSA and cross reference the RSA
signature blocks on Page 9 I'd say they support the definition being
unclear and arguable if you ever had to go to court. [IANAL]. Two unclear
statements are always worse than one.

Suggestion:

"An Organizational Identifier (Org ID) is a record that represents a*
[validated, bona-fide, registered, verifiable, pick one]* entity in the
ARIN database. An entity must have an *Organization* Identifier (Org ID) to
request Internet Number Resources."

Pick an operator, but Organizational is an adjective and Organization is a
noun. I'd venture a guess we'd prefer the noun. A sole proprietor can be an
entity. If it said "legal entity" that could indicate it excludes sole
proprietors.

I don't have an opinion other than to ensure sole proprietorships aren't
excluded as Owen suggests.

HTH

-M<