[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2024-1: Definition of Organization ID/Org ID

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Feb 4 15:57:31 EST 2024

On Sat, Feb 3, 2024 at 11:17 PM Tyler O'Meara via ARIN-PPML
<arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
> I agree with Owen here. Per the problem statement, this draft policy is
> intended solely to improve clarity, and not to effect any material
> change in the NPRM. As such, I would propose that the phrase "business,
> non-profit corporation, or government entity" in the proposed draft
> policy be replaced with "legal person".

As a requirement, that would be a change in *current* ARIN business
practice, which is to deny registration of natural persons as an ARIN
organization.

That hasn't always been the case.10 years ago ARIN accepted
registrations as a natural person. Those registrations remain valid
until additional resources are requested. And of course the further
back you go the muddier it gets. ARIN has been revising this over time
as a business practice without policy guidance from the community.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin