[arin-ppml] Request for Feedback: ARIN-2024-7 Addition of definitions for General and Special Purpose IP Addresses

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 15:35:10 EDT 2024

On Tue, Aug 20, 2024 at 2:07 PM Pellak, Kaitlyn via ARIN-PPML <
arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:

> Hello PPML,
>

> [ clip ]

> *Problem Statement: *
>

> The Number Resource Policy Manual (NRPM) often treats general purpose and
> special purpose IP addresses differently. Unfortunately, we don’t have a
> convenient to use term to describe these categories, so policy often
> becomes either excessively wordy or does not correctly capture the intent.
> Examples of this can be found in section 4.1.8 of the NRPM, and in
> (currently pending) Draft Policies ARIN-2023-8 (where the fact that 4.4 and
> 4.10 space isn’t counted against an organization is repeated numerous
> times) and ARIN-2022-12 (where the text does not exclude 4.4 and 4.10
> allocations from being counted against an organization, but it is the
> intent that those allocations should be ignored). Additionally, temporary
> allocations under section 11 are rarely carved out, even when 4.4 and 4.10
> are, even though it is likely the policy’s intent that these too should be
> ignored.

*Policy Statement:*

> Add the following definitions to Section 2
>
> Special Purpose IPv4 Address - An IPv4 address that the NRPM makes
> available for specific purposes including maintaining critical Internet
> infrastructure (Section 4.4), facilitating IPv6 deployment (Section 4.10),
> or temporarily for experimental purposes as approved by ARIN (Section 11).
>
> General Purpose IPv4 Address - Any IPv4 address issued by ARIN that is not
> issued solely for the purposes stated under Special Purpose IPv4 Addresses.
>
> Special Purpose IPv6 Address - An IPv6 address that the NRPM makes
> available for specific purposes such as maintaining critical Internet
> infrastructure (Section 6.10) or temporarily for experimental purposes as
> approved by ARIN (Section 11).
>
> General Purpose IPv6 Address - Any IPv6 address issued by ARIN that is not
> issued solely for the purposes stated under Special Purpose IPv6 Addresses.

RFC's use this term (special purpose) extensively and not just for defining
IANA actions. The NRPM uses the term "special use" once. 4.10 describes its
use clearly. I don't recall any discussion about the temporary use of
allocation for an experiment being considered a special use more than just
a way to lend someone an address block and get it back. I can see the value
of the uniqueness in not having a dedicated block (waste and data
confusion).

Adding "general purpose" seems to create vagueness and adding "special
purpose" undoubtedly creates a concern of a conflict with the IANA registry
IMHO if not now perhaps in the future. While the IANA doesn't have a
reservation on two words, it feels like a term of art to me and perhaps to
be avoided. I can't really think of another way to define this (or a reason
to?).

Not able to support.

Warm regards,

-M<